Wednesday, April 15, 2009

The end...

This week marked the end of my private lessons with Dr. Bigelow, my last masterclass with the viola studio at BYU, and my last jury. I have had such mixed feelings. Obviously I love playing solo repertoire and enhancing my viola skills, but having weekly lessons this past semester has caused a good deal of stress. Ever since I started working part time while going to school full time, I have really struggled getting in enough practicing. I just haven't had enough time in the day to get 3-4 hours in, and I have a really hard time being productive at night because I'm always so exhausted after a full day of school and work. I especially did not have much time this semester since I had to get my music education application all ready.


With all of these thoughts in my head, I was mostly relieved to be done. This morning I had my final jury. It went really well. I was nervous physically (my legs were shaking and my hands were clammy) but mentally I was calm and nostalgic. I felt like I was really able to express myself and it seemed to be well received. When I walked out into the hallway afterwards I got all teary-eyed when the realization hit that my private lessons are over.


On a lighter note, classes are OVER!! The class I am most excited to be done with is Anthropology. I like the concept of the class, but I wasn't particularly fond with my professor or my TA. We didn't have any exams in the class, which was nice, but our entire grade was based on 5 papers and a little bit of attendence. I still have to write my last paper, but I'm glad I at least don't have to go to those boring lectures anymore.


My favorite class this semester was the family history class I took with Jason. For those of you who don't already know, my dad is crazy about family history. He has done tons and tons of work over the past several years (somewhere around 30 years). Because it has been a great passion for him I have found interest in it as well, but I never knew where to get started. It's a pretty overwhelming undertaking when you don't know the first thing about family history. After a semester of taking a family history class, it is still overwhelming, but now I feel better equiped with the knowledge and resources I need to get started. The problem is I don't really know where to get started since my dad has done so much already...but I'll worry about that later.


Today and tomorrow are reading days and then finals officially start on Friday and end next Wednesday. I have 4 finals to take including my last Anthropology paper. The Tuesday after finals end, Spring term starts. I'll be taking music 395 (form and analysis), music 301 (a music history class), and I'll be in a string chamber group (either a viola duet or a quartet). In the mean time...I need to get to studying...

1 comment:

Melissa said...

It is so weird and surreal to say goodbye to parts of our life that seems to be so woven into who we are. You are such a great example to me and so many others. I will never forget hearing you play your viola at Grandpa Black's funeral. I have heard the viola played many times in my life but none of those times compare with how I heard you play that day. You played with emotion and love not only for Grandpa but also for the music in which you created. Love ya!!