Wednesday, April 29, 2009

New Classes

Today is day two of Spring term. I think it will be nice only taking a few classes, even if they are monsterously hard and long. I'm taking Music History 301 (the first part of the music history class I was stressed about last semester). In our first class meeting, our professor made a funny but true comment. He was talking about how every music major seems to really struggle with this class and he was listing off his reasons for it. One of which was that most students' reasons for majoring in music are not really...substantial. They just love to sing or play an instrument and decide they want to do that for the rest of their lives, but they seldom desire to know how music works or the history behind it. As a result, they struggle through and sometimes hate classes like this one. Not going to lie, I was one of those shallow-minded students. While it might be interesting to learn Solfege with its accompanying hand signs, the different church modes and how they function, what a fully diminished 7th chord is, how to aurally identify a 12-tone series, or who Metastasio was, that wasn't really why I decided to major in music. Now I do see the usefulness of being a well-rounded musician who understands the inner workings of music, but not going to lie, when I entered BYU that's not what I thought I had signed up for.

Moving on...I am also taking Music 395 which is Form and Analysis. I have been intimidated by this class, but after the first day it doesn't seem so bad (so far). The third class I am taking is String Chamber. I'll be in a duet, trio, or quartet depending on who actually takes the class during Spring. Meanwhile, I am still trying to finish my online American Heritage class. I have one more quiz, a big paper, and my final exam. Two years after registering (embarrassing, I know) I am determined to finish...

1 comment:

Melissa said...

I took an Art History class in college and it was my least favorite class ever!!! I was so not interested in what the pictures were trying to say or why they were drawn. AHHH...I skipped that class way too much and when I did go, I was so not into it. It was the only C I ever got in college.

Good thing I didn't go into music or art because those music/art history classes bore me to death.

Did you not like American Heritage? I told you that you should have taken it in class. It was seriously my favorite class ever!