Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Snow Day

Finals are over. All stress is gone. Christmas is tomorrow. Life is good.

Jason and I were so excited to have this semester over with! He finished his last final on Thursday, and I finished mine on Friday morning. We chose to work full-time over Christmas break, but we do get two 4-day weekends for Christmas and New Years, so that'll be nice. Independent Study moved on Friday from the Harman building to the Morris Center. Yes, the cafeteria of what was once Deseret Towers. The building is a little ghetto and it smells like a cafeteria, but we got brand new desks, bouncy chairs, and really nice, fast, computers with HUGE screens!

On Monday it snowed at least a foot here. It was snowing constantly all day, and it looked like a blizzard to me! So as many of you already know, BYU and pretty much most of Utah NEVER cancels anything for snow, but for probably the first time in the history of BYU, the Dean decided to close all of BYU campus at 2:00pm, so we all got to go home! I must say, the roads were terrible, so it was a good thing they let us go home. Jason and I decided to play in the snow when we got home. We started building a huge snowman, but the body ended up too heavy to lift onto the bottom, so we didn't get very far...Then we built snow forts and had a snowball fight. It was really fun! The best part, is that we still got paid for the time we would have been working.

Today is the last day of work this week. It is kind of lame that we have to work on Christmas Eve, but I'm hoping we'll be slow so they'll let us go home early. I mean, seriously, why would anyone want to think about their Independent Study class on Christmas Eve? Jason and I decided to go spend the night at the Allphin's tonight so we can share in the excitement of Christmas with the kids in the morning. I don't think I've ever been around little kids on Christmas morning besides myself and my older sisters, so this will be an exciting Christmas!

As fun as this Christmas will be with my new husband and new family, I am sad that this is my first Christmas away from my family and home. I have such wonderful memories of Christmases with my family - reading the Forgotten Carols with the CD, smelling and eating all the yummy Christmas treats my mom makes, decorating the house and tree (yes, including the painful and long process of wrapping the stair railing with holly and lights), opening presents, our awesome breakfasts including Monkey Bread (or Pull Apart Bread, Bubble Bread, Pluckin' Bread, whatever you want to call it) on Christmas morning with Andrea, Ryan, and the kids, going to Mike and Nancy's, and the list goes on. This will be a new and different Christmas, and I guess it's time to create our own family Christmas traditions, but I will never forget the wonderful memories I have of past Christmases.

1 comment:

Melissa said...

Making your own Christmas traditions and memories is so much fun!! Although, I STILL miss all of mom's yummy holiday treats. I'm not so good at that. Probably cause I know that I'll just eat them.