Monday, February 25, 2013

Dumpster Diving and Alphabet Diving

Let's be honest. As much as I hate to fit the stereotypical stay at home mom with no make-up, a ponytail, and lazy clothes, I admit that on the days I know I'm not going anywhere or seeing anyone, I do just that. While it does feel good to do myself up sometimes, it also feels good to take a break from that and just be comfortable. Today was one of those days. Monday's are my laundry-doing, weekend-recovering (a.k.a. cleaning up the tornado that went though our apartment over the weekend) days. So, I put on some sweat pants and a Lowe's t-shirt (random, but it's one of my most comfy shirts). I realized partway through the morning that I needed to take the trash out and I couldn't change my clothes or get my shoes because I didn't want to wake up Madison. The only shoes available were my high heals from Sunday and Jason's running shoes. I decided the heals would look less ridiculous (Jason's shoes look like clown shoes on me), so out I went in my interesting outfit.

Lovely, right? But wait, it gets better. I assumed I wouldn't be seen by anyone, at least not up close. After all, it would only take about 15 seconds to take out the trash.

As I approached the dumpster, I saw a bunch of stuff sitting in front of the dumpster. Random things like furniture and books. A couple things caught my eye. Some mirrors and a silver trash can.

The mirrors looked like the beginnings of some DIY project and a great way to decorate my home for cheap. Even though they were right next to the dumpster, I still felt weird about taking them, so I walked back inside and glanced back at them out the window. Then I saw a couple bringing things out of their apartment. They were cleaning out their apartment, putting some things next to the dumpster and others in their truck. After a while of hesitating, I decided to go ask them if the stuff was up for grabs. As I walked outside, my neighbor friend pulled up. She was pretty amused at my outfit. The man who was moving stuff out said I could take whatever I wanted, so I grabbed some things.
 I got the mirrors, trash can, and a basket, which I was pretty excited about. I love baskets and always find myself wanting them, but they're usually a little pricey for me to justify buying them when they're not technically a necessity. 

So, one other random thing I wanted to show is what Callie did today while I was nursing Madison. She frequently takes that time to get into trouble. I heard the water running in the kitchen and I kept telling her she needed to turn it off and get down off the chair she was standing on, but she wouldn't listen. I don't like interrupting Madison while she's nursing, so I waited until she was done and this is what I found:
(Ignore the laundry on the counter.) If you'll notice, the water was just about overflowing, and yes, those are alphabet magnets in the bottom of the sink. Callie had peed on them earlier, so I put them in a bowl full of soapy water in the sink. Callie saw the bubbles and wanted to play with them. When I came into the kitchen she realized her shirt was soaking wet, which bothered her. She wanted me to take it off before she got down, but I was a little more worried about the water that was starting to overflow. As I started cleaning it up, Callie peed on the chair...

In moments like this, I just have to take a picture and laugh. It makes things a little more fun and a little less frustrating.




1 comment:

Matthew and Shanna said...

Oh my goodness, what a day!