Monday, February 11, 2013

Locked In

Not long after we moved in to our apartment, we turned Callie's door knob around because we were afraid she would lock herself in her room. It's also nice to have a way to keep her in her room for sleeping and time outs.

A while ago, Callie learned how to lock the doors and she even locked herself in the bathroom once. It scared me, but she did figure out how to unlock it before I frantically called management.

She likes to lock her sister out of rooms to keep her away from her and her toys (which drives me crazy).

On Friday night, while Jason and I were in Callie's room, we started talking about the door-locking issue. The question came up of what we would do if she locked us in her room. We mentioned a few ideas and then Jason changed the subject. I said, "wait, I think we should talk about this some more, because it's probably going to happen..."

The next morning it happened. Jason was gone playing basketball at the church (and was pretty sure he wasn't going to Denny's with the guys afterwards, but we both knew he would probably call and see if I was okay with him going).

I went into Callie's closet to get a shirt and heard Callie close her door.

I came out and she said something she didn't want Madison to get and said "I lock it." Sure enough, she had locked us in her room. Madison, unfortunately, was not in the room. If she had I wouldn't have had a problem waiting until Jason got home. I tried almost everything Jason and I had talked about doing. I even found some baby nail scissors that I used to unscrew one of the screws in the door knob, but the other one was stripped. At one point I called out to someone I saw passing by (she stopped for a second and kept walking).

My most desperate move would have been to take the screen out of the window, climb bare-footed and pajama-ed over the pokey bushes, bang on my neighbor's door, and beg to use their phone to call Jason. Since Madison sounded okay and happy, I never got that desperate, but I got pretty close when I heard my phone ringing a few times.

I knew it was Jason seeing if I was okay with him going to Denny's. I just prayed that he would take me not answering as a sign that he should come home and make sure we were okay.

After about an hour of being locked in, Jason did come home and freed us!

I hid a mini screwdriver on the top shelf of Callie's closet to make sure I can get out if/when there's a next time...

3 comments:

Carlie said...

Oh my goodness! That is funny and scary at the same time! She's a smart little girl! I'm glad he came home to get you out!

Cole said...

Ahh!! Oh the situations we find our selves in. Glad you stayed calm. I would not have! Thanks for sharing!

Cole said...

and this is jenna :)