Wednesday, July 18, 2012

This is the position in which Madison likes to sleep. On her side with her head pulled back. Of course I put her "back to bed" as is now being recommended, but this is how I find her every morning. I think we usually found little Callie on her back with her arms raised and spread out, but these days she also prefers her side.

Madison has been sleeping in her pack-n-play since we moved to Texas. She and Callie will eventually sleep in the same room, but Maddie hasn't been sleeping through the night since we moved so she has been sleeping in our dining room, since that's the only out-of-the-way place for her pack-n-play. Well, out of the way is a relative term. I'm waiting for her to move in the room with Callie before I can put our kitchen table in a usable spot and unpack my digital piano.

Which reminds me of some things I have learned about house keeping in a tiny apartment.

I always thought that a smaller home would be easier to clean, but I guess that's not true when you have nearly the same amount of belongings as you did in a home more than twice the size.

If I don't keep on top of things, continually cleaning up little messes, our house quickly reaches a state of chaos in which it is impossible to function. This is especially true in our kitchen where I have less than half of the counter space that I used to.

In the process of unpacking and living with a toddler I have realized that all of the floor space that isn't covered with furniture is needed for walking. The only place this isn't true is the girls' room. So when you have something like a bouncer sitting out, you can't really set it somewhere out of the way without putting it on top of the bed, on a box in the closet, or in the other bathroom that we don't use as much. It's kind of amusing to me.

By the way, I'm really not saying all of this to complain.We won't live in this tiny apartment forever. It's just a means to an end--a house! I just want to share the things I'm learning and laughing about :)

So with that, I'm going to go work on making this apartment a little easier to live in.

1 comment:

Launa said...

It is so true about it being easier to keep a larger home clean (uncluttered)
We always laugh about Shaina sleeping in her cradle in the entryway in our little home, but it was so she didn't wake the other 3 up in the 1 bedroom we had. These are the times and things that you are going to remember and have the fondest memories of, enjoy!