Saturday, January 26, 2013

Potty-training: Take 3?

Take 1: Callie was 18 months old. I liked the idea of having Callie potty-trained before Madison was born and before we moved from a house covered in hard floors to a carpeted apartment, but Callie wasn't ready yet.

Take 2: We'll call the next few attempts take 2 because they were all within a few weeks. A few weeks before this, Callie started having issues with dairy products (I didn't know that's what it was at the time). I thought she was all better, so we started potty-training, but halfway through our first day, I discovered her issues were not over...

Take 3! On January 14, we once again started potty-training and this time it worked!! She understood how to do it from our other attempts, but this time she was lacking in motivation. She would get sick of it after a while and want a diaper on instead of panties. That's when, out of desperation, I quickly created this beauty:

I know, it's not cutsie or crafty, but it did the job!


For the first few days, she kept switching from her little potty, to her potty seat on the big potty. Lately, she's been switching from her potty seat, to me helping her sit on the big potty.

Even Heavy Baby potty-trained...

We mostly stayed home last week. When we did have to go somewhere, I usually put a pull-up on her and told her they were our special going-bye-bye panties to try to convince her not to pee in them. That didn't really work. This week, on Wednesday I think, we had to go to the store for a few things and I decided to be brave and take her in panties. On the way, I told her the store had a potty she could use if she needed to. She seemed amazed that the store had a potty. 

Halfway through our shopping, I asked her if she needed to use the potty, but she didn't respond. Then, as we were finishing up checking out, Callie said, "I pee!" (which is what she says when she needs to go), so I grabbed the receipt, and scrambled to the bathroom. She went on the potty just fine. I'm pretty sure I was more excited than she was.


I think she looks adorable in her panties. 

Now for the next adventure in potty-training: church in panties...

1 comment:

Michelle said...

Congratulations! There aren't many experiences I would choose to outsource as a mother -- but potty training was definitely one of them. So glad you're done!