Saturday, August 18, 2012

But I Love You

Callie started taking dirty dishes out of the dishwasher, putting them on the living room floor. She does this too frequently and it drives me crazy. It's a good thing I rinse and scrub most everything off of the dishes before putting them in the dishwasher, because otherwise we'd have a real mess on our hands.

Anyway, so once again, for the billionth time, I told her not to take the dishes out of the dishwasher. I tried explaining to her (in my stern, your-in-trouble tone) that the dishes are dirty and need to stay in the dishwasher so they can be cleaned, and they're not for playing because some of them can break. Her response was "but I bove you" (bove=love). All sternness and frustration was replaced by laughter. I can't help it. She cracks me up.

I think she may have said that trying to predict what I was going to say next. I often follow up my stern talks with "but I love you very much..." because I'm trying to make sure I'm a kind, loving parent and I'm trying to remind myself that I shouldn't actually be mad at her, but just need to teach her right from wrong.

So now that she's disarmed me by being funny, what is she doing? You guessed it. Continuing to unload the dishwasher while I sit here and talk about how funny she is...I better go intervene.

No comments: