Monday, August 20, 2012

Just the Three of Us

Jason's working over 70 hours a week right now, so it's usually just the three of us--eating, shopping, playing, and napping (I've finally got both girls taking naps at the same time which means I get a nap! Woohoo!).

Before Jason was so busy with work, I usually waited until he was around to go shopping with us or stay home with a kid, but now the three of us girls do the grocery shopping without him. I now have a mental list of stores that do and do not work with both girls. For instance, I discovered that all shopping carts made for two kids do not work for car seats. I usually do grocery shopping at Walmart (bleh) to try to save some money, but the Walmart carts made for two kids are not car seat friendly; however, there's a Sam's below the Walmart (yes, you read correctly--it's below the Walmart with a huge, three-level parking garage for both stores) and the Sam's carts have a regular cart seat for two kids (like Costco's), so I can put Callie in a seat and put the car seat right next to her. I park in the middle parking garage  so I can find a Sam's cart and ride the elevator up to the Walmart.

Unfortunately, Target is on my not-baby+toddler-friendly-carts list. I can fit the car seat inside of the cart, but that doesn't leave much room for merchandise. I love Target, but maybe it's a good thing that it's no longer easy to shop there, because then I don't go spend money on random things as often.

The worst is when you go to a store that (a) does not even have carts or (b) has carts that are too small to fit both girls. My most recent findings under those categories are JoAnn's and the Dollar Tree. The employees at JoAnn's are probably still laughing at our most recent trip to their store (Picture Madison in her car seat, as cute as can be, with Callie insisting on pulling the cart down various isles while walking backwards, blocking the way for people and running into things. All the while I'm desperately trying to convince her to let me help her, and oh, by the way, I was actually there to buy a few things.)

I can't wait until we can afford to buy a double stroller! I mean, yeah, the double stroller might look goofy, but I think my current setup takes the cake for goofiness. On my morning walks, I've got Callie in our big travel system stroller and I have Maddie in a baby carrier. I frequently have one crying or something, and as I'm walking past all of these apartments filled with single working people, I get some pretty funny/annoyed/amused looks. If only they knew what they were missing out on!


2 comments:

Launa said...

Katie, You are a GREAT mother! Your adventures sound truly exhausting. I remember those days well! In fact I almost lost one baby (don't remember which one) in Safeway while I was shopping. I had just picked out some bread and threw it in the shopping cart and without looking down I just took off with the cart. Well as I had started down another isle I finally realize I had the wrong shopping cart. By the time I had discovered this, the other lady was across the way, pointing at MY cart. I was in a panic for what seemed a day, but was probably only 30 sec.

Jenna said...

I was laughing as I read this post-but in a good way!! I can totally relate. Things are better now that mine are a bit older but I definitely still get in ridiculous situations. Sounds like you are doing amazing as a mother.