Monday, August 20, 2012

Mediterranean Bowl

When I was on bedrest while pregnant with Madison, a lady from church made us an amazing Mediterranean dinner. It really hit the spot and I had an endless craving for it once it was gone. The other night, I decided to try to recreate something like it and I love how it turned out.



Ingredients:

3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1 bell pepper of choice (I used half of a red and half of a yellow)
1-2 tablespoons olive oil
1/2 teaspoon oregano
1/2 teaspoon dried basil
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
ground black pepper to taste
1 1/2 cups roughly chopped fresh baby spinach
1/2 cup finely chopped fresh basil (optional, but I think it adds great flavor)
crumbled feta cheese
cooked rice (1 cup uncooked)

Directions:

Mix together the oregano, basil (dried), salt, and pepper and set aside. Begin cooking chicken breasts in 1-2 tablespoons of olive oil in a covered skillet. My chicken was frozen, so once it started cooking I sprinkled the seasoning mix on each side of the chicken breasts. While the chicken is cooking, chop the peppers into bite-sized pieces. The chicken I used was rather thick, so once it was mostly cooked, I cut it into bite-sized pieces, and returned the chicken to the pan. Add the bell pepper and cook until chicken is cooked through and peppers are soft.

In each bowl, spoon chicken and peppers over hot rice and mix in about 1/3 cup baby spinach, 1/8 cup fresh basil, and some feta cheese (it's pretty flavorful so it doesn't take a lot to do the trick). Serves 4-6.

1 comment:

Wirsch Family said...

Sounds delicious! Thanks for sharing, I can't wait to try that sometime.